Thursday, September 23, 2010

A New Smile

When I was little I was given the option of braces. It wasn't that my teeth were super crooked, but I have a small mouth and a cross-bite. I ask you... what 13 year old, given the option would choose to have braces? Well, not this 13 year old either.

Then, fast-forward to adulthood with TMJ issues, lock jaw, cavities, cracked crowns, potential arthritis of the jaw... just to name a few. Time for braces! Fantastic... I get to be a brace face at 27! To add insult to injury most of the orthodontists I consulted agreed that I would be a tough case and that my upper pallet would need to be surgically broken. That would mean wired jaw, potential for my facial muscles to fall in... just not an easy journey. They also mentioned that it would change my entire facial structure. So what did I do? DELAY! Until I decided that better now than later. That we wanted to have a family and that since I would be in braces at least two years.. I needed to do it now and then we could think about children.  

Enter Dr. Mark Hablinski who was willing to take me on and try without surgery! Braces were placed on April 13, 2009 at 1PM. I had it all... including an upper metal bar that would pull my pallet out and tons and tons of rubber bands!

Picture taken immediately after at office
Then... you guessed it. I got pregnant with Liam exactly 1 month later (May 12). Really? I did not know it at the time... but later I would realize that I had two DO NOT EAT lists... try that one on for size? And mouth pain? No Advil... I do not recommend this option!

Then it happened. The day I was waiting for. The day I get to smile without braces. The day that my son got to see ME... the real me for the first time. And I could take normal pictures with him! On September 21st 2010 they removed my braces. Even Dr. H says that he never thought we would have an outcome this positive! Lesson to all of you... be a rubber band natzi and wear them! I got them off EARLY. Dr. H says that I am "board certified" meaning I get to be on the example board of a difficult case gone right!!!
Right After with no lipstick, but you get the picture
Dr. Mark Hablinski was my miracle worker and was absolutely the best! I even met a wonderful new friend in his staff around my age with a young daughter that I could get good advice from. They were awesome! In fact, his entire staff was just fantastic... they made me feel more like family than a patient! Today... I give you my new smile. Today, I feel a little more beautiful.
Dr. H, me, and Brooke!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Katie! Your smile looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were beautiful before with braces, you silly girl!

    YAY! No more brace face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You're lovely no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to no longer have them? Now you can eat whatever you want and not have to worry!!!

    And yes, you were beautiful before! But it's amazing how much of a difference they did make in your upper pallet. I can really tell a difference!

    ReplyDelete